Use this baked macaroni and cheese and dress it your way. A perfect classic as it is, you can add bacon, veggies or your favorite cheeses.
12 oz uncooked macaroni, elbow-type
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
8 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165.7, Total Fat: 4.7 g, Cholesterol: 14.8 mg, Sodium: 438.3 mg, Total Carbs: 16.6 g, Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g, Protein: 13.2 g
Per serving: 5 SmartPoints